Current Waybill: Spring 2021  Click here to download!


*May 1, 2021*


 Lines from Ireland


The RoundHouse



   Letter from the Editor

The Waybill is for you the members and our friends to enjoy. If there is something you would like to see in the Waybill then please contact us by email at or by mail.

We are always looking for stories to include, as we have many members who are no longer able to go on any trips and they get great enjoyment out of reading about them.

So if you have ever wanted to be a Newspaper reporter now is your chance…

Group Sales Policy: 10 or more tickets purchased in ADVANCE by the SAME PERSON will be entitled to a 10% DISCOUNT subject to availability.

BLOCK SPACE may be arranged on any non-restricted event with Ticket Coordinator or Tour Director (when assigned) at least 50 days prior to departure. For further information, please contact the Mystic Valley Railway Society, 617-361-4445 or e-mail at


 From the President

by Theresa E. Rylko


At this time I wish to thank all of you for being patient, as Covid restrictions affect all of us.  We have to wait to plan the trips and the meetings, until the restrictions are lifted.  We also have to work with the Bus Companies, the restaurants and the places we want to visit to see what their rules and restrictions of operations are.  We will always welcome ideas.  If you have any interesting stories or pictures from past trips share them with your fellow MVRS friends by submitting them to member-o-gram.



From the Acting Vice President

by Jeff Costello



Hello 2021 ? or !. After the tumultuous year 2020, I'm not sure how to start my editorial. We at Mystic Valley Railroad Society like  everyone else has experienced many changes during the past year. Trips were cancelled, meetings conducted by teleconference and social distancing and mask wearing. Despite that we like a train are still chugging along. I've returned to being acting vice-president and am looking forward to resuming normal society activities. We will have a 2022 calendar and the waybill for all to enjoy or even contribute news or articles to. Tracy Rylko is the editor for the time being. If anyone has experience there is  an opportunity as editor awaiting you. As usual, we would appreciate stories, articles from members for the waybill. During this indoor time, my wife Marcia retrieve photographs of past Mystic Valley Railway Society trips, from long trips to Yellowstone National Park, Savannah, Georgia and New Orleans to short trips 9-11 Memorial , Maine and the lobster feasts to Newport Playhouse. If she can still dream it, I am sure Mystic Valley Railway Society can still " Bee Line to Adventure. Of course now that our granddaughters are young ladies, all of 6 years old we would enjoy taking them on short excursions around New England. I most certainly would enjoy trips again and reuniting with our members.




From the MVRS Legal Counsel

 Contributed by Kimberly Calvi, Paralegal to Attorney Bradley C. Pinta, of Pinta Law Group, LLC.

The Legal Particulars That Every Website Needs and the Benefit to Consumers

With so many website building applications available, it’s never been easier for business owners, service providers, or merchants to publicize and advertise their enterprise. The most popular of these offer a complete package of web hosting, search engine optimization (SEO) tools, compatibility with other online tools and apps, mobile editing, and analytics. These additional tools make it easier for a website owner to mind their business, literally, and use these tools to learn more about the demographics of who is visiting their website, who their customer base is, and where they are coming from, so as to market themselves better and appear on the first page of a Google search engine results page (SERP), if not at the top of the page. All of this is the Internet-savvy and predominant marketing means of gaining a strong presence in this digital age to market one’s business effectively. However, one imperative aspect that any reputable business with a website gives attention to, is the legal language necessary on a website. Usually found in the footer, which is the bottom banner of a website site and typically contains all of the same information on every page, such content always includes the copyright dates and the ‘All Rights Reserved’ statement, at a minimum. The copyright dates always include the first year that the website was launched, and the second year is always the most recent when there has been an edit, a change, or an addition to the website. These two dates are separated by an en dash, without any spaces. An example would be if someone left the company, whose photo, name, title, and professional biography appeared on the ‘Our Team’ page. Other examples include a blog posting, additional customer testimonial comments, new products or services on offer, or even a change of physical address. Also important, if the website is for a service, such as legal counsel, where a website visitor fills out and submits a form with their personal information and their issue, there is usually a disclaimer stating that the website is offering the published information only and this should not be construed as providing any kind of legal advice or that an attorney-client relationship has been established. Some other businesses where this language and principle applies include insurance companies, wealth management advisory firms, or medical care offices and facilities, where potential clients are looking for a quote, requesting an appointment with an advisor, or asking for medical advice from a specialist, respectively. Websites selling merchandise have their own specific, legal language requirements. This centers on matters such as the return policy and warranties, gift card purchases and monetary reloads, rewards or points, member discounts, and price reductions and sales. Business to Business (B2B) services company websites often have a page dedicated to press releases or other marketing collateral, on behalf of their own clients and there is legal language associated with that proprietary relationship, as well. This is especially true if the B2B client is publicly traded; investor relations contact information must always be included on the front page of any posted publication. The above information is specific to non-government entities. But, what about local, state, or federal government websites? Pains are taken to make sure that all required legal language is clear, written for a general audience, and contact information is readily available. These websites often have protocols in place for those who are visually or hearing impaired.

Ultimately, with data breaches on the rise, the single most important piece of information required of all websites collecting personal information from its website visitors is a privacy policy. This is an international mandate. Privacy policies are featured on many websites where a third party service is used to enhance the performance of the website if it uses a payment processing tool, for example. These websites must be clear about what type of information is collected by the website or the app, the purpose of collecting the data, how the data is stored, its security and access, details regarding data transfer, any affiliated websites, and use of cookies. When collecting personal data (full name, address, phone number, birthdate, Social Security number, credit card account numbers, bank account numbers, and email address or any combination thereof), there also has to be language stating that this information will not be shared with an outside party without prior customer permission. Consumers do not generally pay attention to these legal requirements when visiting a website. However, it should be reassuring that responsible private business owners of every sort, as well as publicly traded companies and government entities follow these legally prescribed considerations.


Want to order the new 2021 calendar?  Click Here!

Presidential Trains

by Dirk Hertel

Sixth president John Quincy Adams was the first known to have ridden a train, though it was in 1830 after his presidency (1825-29). His successor Andrew Jackson (1829-37) presided during the pioneer age of North American railroads. On August 25, 1835 he adjourned a cabinet meeting so they all could go watch the first arrivals at the new station at the foot of Capitol Hill with locomotives named Jefferson, Washington, and Madison.

Though 9th president William Henry Harrison made extensive use of the B&O Railroad during his election campaign, 1841 inaugural trip, and one-month term in office this did not set a precedent. Pre-Civil War, only the 11th, 15th and 16th presidents, James K. Polk (1845-49), James Buchanan (1857-61) and Abraham Lincoln (1861-65) traveled to their inauguration by train. The opening of the New York & Erie RR in May 1851, supplanting the Erie Canal, was celebrated by 13th president Millard Fillmore and his cabinet making the 427-mile trip in an open car.

By Lincoln’s 1861 inauguration, Southern threats of secession were deepening. Great caution was exercised to protect Lincoln's one-car special train and evade the possibility of mined track or weakened bridges with a circuitous route from Springfield IL to Washington DC. The first president to appreciate the strategic importance of railroads, Lincoln used them as a tool during the Civil War then to unite the country afterwards. The 1862 Pacific Railroad Act laid the groundwork for the Transcontinental Railroad with Lincoln establishing Omaha NE as the eastern terminus. He wanted the ‘broad’ 5ft gauge already in use in California but the 'standard' 4ft 8½in gauge won out after intense lobbying by railroad companies. The Orange & Alexandria and Manassas Gap Railroads built the first dedicated presidential train car, which Lincoln never used while alive. Instead, it bore his body in the funeral train to Springfield IL.

Politicians then realized the ease of campaigning cross-country by train, repeating the same short speech to assembled crowds from their observation platform during short 'whistle-stops'. Railroad barons would lend their opulent executive coaches, the equivalent to today's private jets, in support of a presidential candidate. Trains became commonplace in campaigns and inaugurations.  

Frugal Calvin Coolidge (1923-29) refused a special train from Rutland VT to his inauguration. Instead, his private car was coupled to a train in regular service. 

On campaign and in office, Franklin Delano Roosevelt (1933-45) relied extensively on a private rail car for support and privacy to cope with his disability. On December 18, 1942, the Pullman Company presented him with the first purpose-built presidential railcar, U.S. Car No. 1 in which he covered 50,000 miles. It was used between Washington DC and Hyde Park NY, for going to two Quebec Conferences, on whistle-stop tours for his 1944 reelection campaign, and finally to his funeral in Hyde Park.

Harry Truman (1945-53) continued using U.S. Car No. 1, especially on his 1948 reelection campaign. He traveled 31,700 miles and made 356 whistle-stop speeches, crowned by his victory address on November 3, 1948 as he triumphantly held up a copy of the Chicago Daily Tribune with the wrong headline "Dewey defeats Truman". However, his demand for speeds up to 80mph was a nightmare for the firemen and engineers who preferred FDR’s sedate 30mph.  

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953-61), father of the Interstate Highway System, grew even more impatient with rail travel and switched to Air Force 1 when it became available. Not only faster, air travel was deemed safer in light of Cold War threats. However, in 1969 his final journey was on a funeral train to his hometown Abilene KS. Eisenhower’s presidency marked when railroads changed from being essential for presidential mobility to becoming nostalgic props for whistle-stop campaigns in battleground states. In 1976 Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter each campaigned aboard Amtrak, the incumbent in Michigan and Illinois, the challenger between New York City and Pittsburgh PA. U.S. Car No. 1 ran just once more, during Ronald Reagan's 1984 reelection campaign on a whistle-stop tour through Ohio, before being designated a National Historic Landmark at the Gold Coast Railroad Museum FL in 1985. 

For George H. Bush’s 1992 reelection campaign, CSX and UP assembled a 2-locomotive, 19-car train with the 1924-built CSX office car “Baltimore”. Bush Senior’s last journey was his 2005 funeral train to College Station TX and this locomotive, UP SD70 No. 4141, in the colors of Air Force 1, is on permanent display at his Presidential Library.

Bill Clinton rode the “Spirit of the 21st Century” from Huntington WV to the 1996 Democratic Convention in Chicago IL. In 2000 George W. Bush campaigned in California along the route of Amtrak’s Coast Starlight and Pacific Surfliner. 

Three days before his first inauguration, Barack Obama reenacted part of Lincoln’s first inaugural journey with a 7-hour whistle-stop tour on January 17, 2009 from Philadelphia PA to Washington DC onboard the private railcar Georgia 300, built in 1939. 

President Joe Biden is renowned for traveling by train. While a senator, from 1972 he commuted over 2 million miles on 16,000 Amtrak trips between Delaware and Washington. His first presidential bid, in 1988, was announced from a train. In 2020 he made a whistle-stop tour from Cleveland OH to Johnstown PA aboard “The Build Back Better Express”. Time will tell the future of presidential railcars, but Biden is expected to remain a staunch advocate for Amtrak to “ensure that Americans will have trains to ride”.

(Sources: H. W. Bowman “Pioneer Railroads”;; Amtrak; The Baltimore Sun, January 18, 2009; Washington Post, October 20, 2020)





President – Theresa E. Rylko (Tracey)
Vice President Elect – Leo Mignace
Treasurer – Judy Berson-Hoyt
Recording Secretary – Nancy Roney

Directors: Jeff Costello (Acting Vice President till Annual Meeting), Lillian Garvey, Nancy Juskin,
Eleanor Manning (Ellie), William Manning (Billy), Nancy Jeanne Martin, Marcia Pennington


You will see many of these volunteers as tour leaders on your trips.

It takes a team effort to have a successful volunteer organization. Please share your talents as a volunteer with MVRS and be

rewarded by seeing your work in action.  Call 617-361-4445 and a volunteer form will be sent to you.



Previous Waybills: 

 Winter 2020-2021  Fall 2020   Summer 2020  Spring 2020

Winter 2019-2020  Fall 2019    Summer 2019   Spring 2019

 Winter 2018   Fall 2018   Summer 2018   Spring 2018

 Winter 2017   Fall 2017   Summer 2017    Spring 2017   

Winter 2016 Fall 2016   Summer 2016    Spring 2016    

Winter 2015   Fall 2015   Summer 2015     Spring 2015     

Winter 2014     Fall 2014





Booking Conditions


Handicapped Information

Copyright © 2000 - 2021 [Mystic Valley Railway Society, Inc]. All rights reserved.
Revised: Feb 2021